What are we about here at Bakeroose?

Chef Stephanie Petersen is know as Chef Tess Bakeresse. She is joined in her cooking adventures here on the Bakeroose blog by her two sons, Little Man and Face. We also have regular posts from other Little Chefs who share their cooking adventures. Our kid's blog is a help to moms, grandmas, grandpas and caregivers. We want to help a whole new generation of cooks get excited about the culinary world. If you cook together and have the desire to join our Bakeroose, feel free to send an email to Chef Stephanie Petersen (chef-tess@hotmail.com). If we like what we see, we'll add your story! That simple. If you homeschool, welcome! We have a twice monthly bakeroose class that will be highlighted on this blog as a way to incorporate food science into your child's education. We hope you want to come back again and again. Even better, we hope you like it enough to want to share your cooking experiences and anything you learn along the way! We are so excited to hear from you! Chef Stephanie's main blog is http://www.cheftessbakeresse..com/

Cooking class information can be found here:

Kids Cooking Classes

Any class Chef Tess teaches with kids will usually be added here automatically! So...how cool is that?!

Monday, October 3, 2011

A Challenge for My Bakeroose (Even in China!)



Tuesday's Tutorial is one I have been working on for a long time. I think a lot of times it easy to get caught up in my mind with a "this is how we cook" mental state. In the last few years I've studied and applied the use of  
Solar cooking , including the building of several different Solar Oven cookers.  I've come a long way since My first solar oven   

In that process I learned a lot. Number one, first and foremost...I can learn something new everyday.  Second...I should learn something new about how to cook food.  I'm a chef and as food is hard wired in my brain so is the absolute desire to see that people all over the world are blessed.  I have a vision of seeing lives changed every day through my efforts...and I hope you do too. I know that together, we can make a difference.  Wow. I just got really sappy right there.  {Insert suave eyebrow raise} I know.  I don't do that often.


So...my challenge to the Bakeroose...I want you to try cooking with a new method. The method is here: Heat-retention Cooking  


 These are the Zuni Gold beans. I think they're pretty. I'd hot glue them to my favorite funky-purse and wear them as a snazzy accessory...but I think today we'll just cook them instead. Right?{ I'm secretly stuffing some in my pocket of to my right side. Now I'm mystically waving my hands in front of your face. You didn't see anything.}
 Our Heat Retention cooking class starts NOW.  For more on this amazing cooking method look HERE. It's not, in fact, a new method!   I've used my solar cooker as a sun-less cooker! Yes...it can be done! You can cook without the sun too! It's been particularly off-n-on sunny the last bit so I wasn't sure if I could pull it off...but I did. So I'm showing you. I did the post on Using Your Sun Oven as a Slow Cooker 101
 but failed to mention what to do should the sunlight be intermittent or it get cloudy shortly into your cooking. Heaven forbid! Well...there is salvation. You who don't have a solar oven, can also still cook without one using this method.
 Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain. Add 6 cups more water.  Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes in a pot on the stove (or in the solar oven, cook 20 minutes until at 350 degrees.)
 At this point, let's hypothetically say that the sun goes behind the clouds. In Arizona we've had several days like this lately. Annoying. But...I've found this out...I can sitll cook the beans. Cover the pot quickly. The more full the container the better.
 Cover the pot with towels, tightly fitting them around the bottom and sides of the hot pot. If you don't have a solar oven, this method will also work using a hay basket lined with blankets.  For more on this amazing cooking method look HERE.
 Close up your solar oven and allow beans to cook for 1 1/2 hours or more. Up to 8 hours.

Okay. So that's your assignment. Those in China can do it too! Report back your results and things you've learned. I'm excited to hear how it goes.

There you go!...That means it's your turn my friends.
Lots of Love!
Chef Tess.

2 comments:

  1. I will make sure that we get it done Miss Stephanie :D Then we will tell you All about it :D

    ReplyDelete

>